Carol Leonnig has been reporting on the Secret Service for The Washington Post for most of the last decade, bringing to light the secrets, scandals, and shortcomings that plague the agency today—from a toxic work culture to dangerously outdated equipment to the deep resentment within the ranks at key agency leaders, who put protecting the agency’s once-hallowed image before fixing its flaws. But the Secret Service wasn’t always so troubled.
The Secret Service was born in 1865, in the wake of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln, but its story begins in earnest in 1963, with the death of John F. Kennedy. Shocked into reform by its failure to protect the president on that fateful day in Dallas, this once-sleepy agency was radically transformed into an elite, highly trained unit that would redeem itself several times, most famously in 1981 by thwarting an assassination attempt against Ronald Reagan. But this reputation for courage and excellence would not last forever. By Barack Obama’s presidency, the once-proud Secret Service was running on fumes and beset by mistakes and alarming lapses in judgment: break-ins at the White House, an armed gunman firing into the windows of the residence while confused agents stood by, and a massive prostitution scandal among agents in Cartagena, to name just a few. With Donald Trump’s arrival, a series of promised reforms were cast aside, as a president disdainful of public service instead abused the Secret Service to rack up political and personal gains.
To explore these problems in the ranks, Leonnig interviewed dozens of current and former agents, government officials, and whistleblowers who put their jobs on the line to speak out about a hobbled agency that’s in desperate need of reform. “I will be forever grateful to them for risking their careers,” she writes, “not because they wanted to share tantalizing gossip about presidents and their families, but because they know that the Service is broken and needs fixing. By telling their story, they hope to revive the Service they love.”
|Format Type||:||eBook PDF / e-Pub|
|Category||:||Political Science, Books, Politics & Current Events, History, United States|
Brilliant and engagingly written, Why Nations Fail answers the question that has stumped the experts for centuries: Why are some nations rich and others poor, divided by wealth and poverty, health and sickness, food and famine? Is it culture, the weather, geography? Perhaps ignorance of what the rig Zero Fail pdf books
Perfect for expecting parents who want to prepare themselves for the challenging toddler years (which starts around eight months of age), this essential guide, a national bestseller by respected pediatrician and child development expert Dr. Harvey Karp, not only helps reduce tantrums but makes happy Zero Fail epub / PDF Books
USA Today bestseller Tru Blue is an emotionally riveting, sexy new contemporary romance by New York Times bestselling author Melissa Foster. A magnificent love story for those who enjoy fiercely loyal and insanely sexy alpha heroes, smart, sassy heroines, families, bikers, babies, and more! Zero Fail epub / PDF Books
From #1 bestselling author Blake Pierce comes a heart-pounding new mystery series.In the cornfields of Nebraska a woman is found murdered, strung up on a pole, the victim of a deranged killer. It doesnt take long for the police to realize a serial killer is on the looseand that his spree has just be Zero Fail pdf books
The New York Times Bestseller!A beautiful and elegant account of an ordinary man's unexpected and reluctant descent into heroism during the second world war. Malcolm GladwellAn extraordinary novel about a gifted architect who reluctantly begins a secret life devising ingenious hiding places for Jews Zero Fail pdf books
Parvati Jai knows better than to pin any romantic hopes on Max Dewitt. She may have had a crush on her best friend's older brother since she figured out what boys were good for, but she's looking for Mister Forever - not a workaholic entrepreneur with a romantic attention span that tops out at two w Zero Fail epub / PDF Books
Red Flags Too loud.Too clingy.Too much make-up. I could go on and on. The other guys in the Single Dads Club would say Im obsessed with finding them. But none of their kids mothers is the epic fail that my daughters is, so their opinions mean shit. Caterina Santora has her own l Zero Fail pdf books
Beautifully romantic! When I know a Bella Andre book is being released, I put everything else on hold in my life and dive into her new book. And what a scrumptious dive that is! 5 starsAn unexpected friends-to-lovers romance might not only turn out to be so much hotter than anything bad boy pro base Zero Fail epub books
Winner of the 2010 Edgar Award for Best NovelHeralded by the Washington Post as a a magnificent creation, Huck Finn channeled through Lord of the Flies, John Hart's The Last Child is his most significant work to date, an intricate, powerful story of loss, hope, and courage in the face of evil. Thirt Zero Fail epub books
The Fever struck hard and fast, rising out of the slums and claiming victim after victim. At first, reports trickled across the wire in small segments relegated to the final seconds of the broadcast news. Lost among stories of failing economies and political bickering, few noticed what proved to be Zero Fail epub / PDF BooksZero Fail
- Frankenstein | Books by Mary Shelley
- iPhone User Guide for iOS 10.3 | Books by Apple Inc.
- World War Z | Books by Max Brooks
- Love Like This (The Romance Chronicles—Book #1) | Books by Sophie Love
- 21 Best Exercises For Your Abs | Books by Arnel Ricafranca & Jesse Vince-Cruz
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Illustrated Edition | Books by Douglas Adams
- iPad User Guide for iOS 8.4 | Books by Apple Inc.
- Investing For Beginners | Books by David Cohne
- Sex: Sex Positions That Will Change Your Life Forever | Books by D. D'apollonio
- Becoming Mindful: Silence Your Negative Thoughts and Emotions to Regain Control of Your Life | Books by HowToRelax Blog Team
- Easy Appetizer Recipes | Books by Authors and Editors of Instructables
- The New Girl (The Extraordinarily Ordinary Life of Cassandra Jones) | Books by Tamara Hart Heiner
- Everyone Can Create Video | Books by Apple Education
- Apple Watch User Guide | Books by Apple Inc.
- Get Organized! | Books by Authors and Editors of Instructables
- A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies | Books by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Apple TV User Guide | Books by Apple Inc.
- Kids vs Fire: Where Did Fire Come From? (Enhanced Version) | Books by Peter Galante & Felipe Kolb
- Everyone Can Create Teacher Guide for Early Learners | Books by Apple Education
- Pocket Pregnancy Guide to What to Do When Pregnant, Free Edition | Books by Melinda Delisle
- Insider's Guide to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter | Books by Savino Bellini
- The Works of Edgar Allan Poe - Volume 2 | Books by Edgar Allan Poe
- Twelve Years a Slave | Books by Solomon Northup
- Understanding Men: Know What He's Really Thinking, Show Him You're the One, Why Men Pull Away, Why He's Afraid to Commit & How to Read Him Like a Book | Books by Alex Altman